Monday, May 28, 2012

Back from DC and Half this Sunday

DC was so much fun!  I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy myself at all, being one of ten chaperones of our 7th grade trip, but our kids were so well behaved that I had a blast!  My favorite part was the Newseum, which I had never been to before.  The basement exhibit included the Unabomber and Oklahoma City bombing, both of which I remember vividly.  I was in the 7th grade when the OK City bombing took place and seeing the news articles about them really took me back to that moment.
It didn't dawn on me until we were at the Pentagon memorial that our kids were only 3 years old on September 11, 2001.  For me, that's one day I'll always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing and our kids have really only read about it.  The memorial was beautiful and very creative (of course I forgot my camera that day). 
We also visited the Air Force Memorial one morning.  I've always noticed the three large 'antennae' on the drive from the airport to the city, but never knew what it was until now.  They were enormous in real life. 

Even with a 12 hour bus trip out there and 10 hours on the way back (lots of bus issues from MI-DC), it was a great time.  I really enjoyed myself with the kids and other chaperones and am so glad I went.

However, I did not get in any running on the trip.  I knew I wouldn't so I didn't even pack any running clothes.  With a 6am wake up call and 'lights out' room checks until 1030-11pm each night, I was taking every minute of sleep I could get. 

So when I returned late Wednesday night, I met the girls for a 6 miler Thursday evening.  It was hilly, but good to be back in the swing of things.  I hadn't run since the previous Friday and that's the longest I've taken off from running in over two years!!

The eight miles for our long run this Saturday were timed perfectly between rain storms and I think I'm ready to run the Dexter-Ann Arbor half this Sunday.  I registered for this race forever ago and can't believe it's finally here :) 
It'll be hot and hilly, but I plan to run it conservatively and have fun... ie. not PR another half this year!  Anyone else racing this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck this weekend!! DXAA has always been a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete