Saturday, March 5, 2011

Any running book recommendations?

Today's a nasty day in Michigan - rain/hail/sleet and now snow. I had my 11 miler all mapped out to run first thing this morning, but woke up to crazy rain storms. I was so excited for the run that I even set an alarm for 645a and still woke up before it! That's a good feeling. With today's weather, I've put the run on hold until tomorrow morning.

The combination of crappy weather and my husband being gone all day had made me pretty productive around the house. I've been cleaning, organizing, doing laundry and catching up on reading. Which is when I realized I need some new running books.

Do you have any running book recommendations? Anything you've ready and enjoyed? I'm looking for something more fun than technical, but anything that you recommend would be awesome. I find that I get more motivation and confidence with more knowledge :)

Here's what I've already read and enjoyed:

The Long Run
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Half-Marathon Training
Fast Track
Living and Loving
How Running Changed my Life

I loved The Long Run! It was a great read and very inspirational. The Guide to Half Training was rather dry and I knew a lot of it already. Fast Track was a great first book although was a bit more technical than I would like. I met the author of Living and Loving at the Detroit Marathon expo, so I got her book. It was cute and inspirational but a bit too "God-dy" for my everyday life. The last book was a great bedtime read and was incredibly inspirational.

If you have any thoughts about great running reads or can point me in the right direction, please share!

5 comments:

  1. I read the long run and beginners half marathon training. One of my favorite books is "A race like no other". Its the story of the NYC marathon. Ever since I read that I want to run NYC. It's #1 on my list of marathon's out of state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, see my blog. I have a list on the sideline of the blog of all the running books I have read and there are many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall is a very good book. It will make you want to run an ultra! Or, it may make you want to run barefoot. Either way, it's a good read.

    Hal Higdon has quite a few books but are hit and miss to me. I like his book Marathon but I got another and it was just okay. I think it was called Smart Running.

    One book that has a lot of good tips that I enjoy is The Competitive Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover. It's pretty technical but it has a lot of great information, even for non-competitive runners like myself. I refer to that book a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Run Like A Mother is really good & funny. And you definitely don't have to be a mom to enjoy it. Also, Nathan watched Spirit of the Marathon on Netflix & thought it was really good (I know it's not a book!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather was a rude awakening returning from Florida for the Disney Princess Half! Gotta love MI!

    Anywhoo..Thanks for the recs. I definitely want to start improving my running and plan on picking up some of these recs!

    ReplyDelete