Sunday, February 19, 2012

I ran 14 miles on accident yesterday...

I would have never dreamed that sentence could have ever come out of my own mouth, but alas, I got a little lost on our group run yesterday and put in an extra couple miles.  I went out for 12 and yes, there were many people in our group, but most turned back at the turnaround for 10 miles.  I knew I only had one more mile to go, but I never saw the sign to turn.

Whoops.  In our group runs, there are typically 5 of us in our pace that stick together.  In 9 months, I've never brought my own map (even though coach prints them out for us all) since I just follow the girls I'm running with.  Yesterday, there were only 3 of us and one was feeling sluggish and the other was really speedy.  Cue me right in the middle.  As the time went on, there was increasing space between us until we couldn't see each other and then I tacked on extra miles. 

Oh well, the good news is that I turned around myself after I no longer recognized the road I was on and headed back to the last water station.  I made it there just as coach was packing it up, as everyone else had gone though.  Another whoops.  I apologized for my rookie mistake and her worrying and kept on trucking.

By the time I got back to the store, I felt great!  Even though almost all of my run was solo, I felt amazing.  Mentally, I was having a blast and physically, I was in the zone.  No pain, felt strong, and just rocked it.  I forgot my garmin at home, so I had no real idea how long I had run until I got home and mapmyrun'd it.  Yeah, that's totally a word.
14.25 miles of total badass.  I think running naked (ie no garmin) really saved me today.   To not know my pace and just run on feel was awesome.  I may do this more often :)

When I finally finished, coach just smirked at me and said, "You're the one that wants to run another marathon.  Go for it!"

So, yeah, that's the new plan!  I'm not 100% sold on which one yet, but something in May or June.  I really ought to find that out soon.
The other exciting news is that we're going on a cruise this week!  It's been booked for months and is finally here!  My cousin arrives to take us to the airport in 2 hours, so vacation, here I come!  I'm so excited for some down time and even managed to pack 2 running skirts justincase :)

Have an awesome week everyone, I'll be back on Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome job!! And have a fantastic time on your trip - soak up some rays for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awesome and I think it definitely means you're ready to tackle another marathon! Have a great time on your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice run!! I like it when I'm in the zone and just tune everything out and let my legs do the work. Also nice of you to just go with the run and not worry about distance. Sometimes you get like 12 miles stuck in your head and anything more could ruin you mentally but it seems like that wasn't an issue for you. Awesome job.

      Delete
  3. Hope you had a fantastic cruise! Great job on the 14 miles even if it was an accident!

    ReplyDelete