Sunday, May 8, 2011

Great 5K and Virtual Marathon Results

Yesterday I went to the Food Allergy 5K in Dearborn, MI.  It was a small race I registered for with my sister and was planning on walking it with her.  However, her foot was bothering her all week, reducing her to limping all day, so she bowed out Friday night.  

I took this as a perfect opportunity to enjoy this new-to-me race and have a good time out there.  It was very small but organized and a flat, fast route.  The weather couldn't have been better and I had a great race - a 2nd place PR for me.  I know nobody really keeps track of that, but I do. 

This race felt great to me and I finished in 30:40 (my PR is 29:59 in Dec 09)!  I loved every second of it and felt myself pushing forward at a couple of times when I would have slowed down, so that was nice.



I signed up for this virtual race awhile ago, thinking that with my half on April 30th, it'd be no problem to finish the 26.2 miles in the two weeks leading up to it.  The only stipulation is that you have to run at least 1K of the race on May 1st.  I enjoyed this part, as it got me out the door for some recovery miles the day after my third half marathon.  I'd never done that before and I enjoyed it - I think it helped my legs recover faster.  

This virtual marathon was a fun way to keep track even more detailed of my training and see what time I could get with a 'broken up' marathon.

I ran it in 5 spurts:
April 18th      3.12 miles in 35:23
April 22nd     4.4 miles   in 44:00 with Rebecca!
April 25th      2.0 miles   in 22.33 slow miles with my dogs
April 30th     13.1 miles  in 2:34:32 Let's Move Half Marathon
May 1st        3.58 miles  in 42:24
Total:            26.2 miles in 4:58:52 a PR for me!!

This was fun and I'm looking forward to beating this marathon PR in the next few years!  I think it'll be my best time for awhile now.  My first marathon is this October, so we'll see what happens!

Thanks Neil for the fun race idea!

5 comments:

  1. My pleasure! I love read all the reports coming back in...! Congrats on a great 2 weeks of running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on both races! I love, love the 5K logo.....I so hope you got a shirt with that logo on it. It's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice job! And I think it's great that you keep track of a 2nd place PR for yourself, it's an excellent way to keep track of your training, especially if the courses were different. I think that makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep track of all my races so I know my 2nd place PR to my 10th.

    ReplyDelete