Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fake Thanksgiving!

Fall came kinda quickly in MI and with the cooler weather, my husband had the great idea that we should cook a turkey!  By 'we' he means he'll come up with the idea, I'll do all the work, and he'll show up at the table.  Works for me!

This morning I got up early to stuff the bird and get it in the oven.
I've only cooked a turkey one other time in my life - for Thanksgiving 2005 when we lived in Baton Rouge and weren't able to come home for the holiday.  Minus leaving some of the gizzards inside (I didn't know you had to pull stuff out of each end) and buying biscuits instead of butter rolls, it turned out pretty good.

I don't cook meals often - and I mean that in the way that I am in the kitchen often baking desserts and treats and making snacks, just not preparing actual dinners - that's my husband's role.  He's the BBQer/dinner-maker and I'm the set-up/clean-up/make desserts and drinks person.  It works for us.

Today we kept the menu simple and it turned out delicious!  Just a little googling to get me started...
And everything turned out divine!  I even made homemade gravy for the first time by de-glazing the roaster.  (I didn't like it, but it turned out very pretty - good thing I had can stuff warming up as a back up). 
Green bean casserole like my mom always makes (I never liked as a kid but my husband LOVES), mashed potatoes, white and dark meat, wet and dry stuffing (I'm a dry person, my husband wet), homemade and can gravy, and rolls rounded out the table.  We'll have to work on getting some color in there next time.  Man, did it turn out good. 

If I'm only going to cook dinner a handful of times a year, I totally make it count!  Now to watch the Detroit Lions not embarrass us - just like real Thanksgiving.  Happy Fake Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment