Friday, April 15, 2011

Windy Windy Run

I had a simple three miler in mind for this morning.  I had a lot of things on my mind work-wise that I just needed to think through and the best time to do that is while running.  I needed this run.  I got up early, got dressed and headed out.  I was excited since the loop I was running today I hadn't run in awhile and it was once a loop I had to really work up to get to and now it's my easy run.  Mentally, that felt great.

However, when I got out the door, I was ill-prepared for the wind.  I almost fell over before even getting out of my neighborhood.  I never look at the weather online before I head out and now I'm going to start.  It was 36 degrees and felt like 26 with the wind chill I saw when I got home.  The cold combined with my doing P90X Legs & Back last night were almost more than I could handle.  My glutes were so sore; I felt each and every step in them. 

I was so cold and tired for fighting through the wind in the very first part that I actually considered turning around and coming home!  I've never done that before, and this was in the first .1-.25 mile!  I stuck with it though because I didn't want to feel like a failure - and kept reminding myself it's only 3 miles!  

The first 1.5 miles were brutal and I was cursing myself for not having another layer on.  However, when I finally got to my turnaround point and the wind was at my back, things improved.  It was still chilly, but with the wind behind me, I floated home.  My 3.15 mile run took longer than any other run of this distance, but it's now done and I can rest up for my 12 miles on Sunday.  

1 comment:

  1. good job getting out there. I ran outside too this morning but it was not as windy when I ran but still cold out. I've got a 13 miler planed for Sunday.

    ReplyDelete